Sunday 22 May 2016

Nintendo NX : What are you up to, Nintendo?


          When Nintendo first revealed that they are working on a new console, I was quite excited. I began imagining a new more powerful console that would spawn greater games for the franchises I have loved since i was a kid. My dreams of having a truly open world Pokemon RPG possibly coming true! Oh, such joy, such excitement. After my initial jolt of excitement, i regained the ability to think realistically. Nintendo hasn't made a properly good console since the Gamecube. I know, that may seem harsh for me to say but it's true. Nintendo have been so focused on gimmicks that the quality of games that they produce have plummeted at a truly amazing rate. Out of all the games released for the Wii and Wii U, how many can actually be classified as "great"? 5%? No wonder the company's profits have been decreasing. 

          When asked by a journalist from Asahi Shimbun about the NX and whether it would affect the Wii U's retail performance, Tatsumi Kimishima said,

"The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. 
It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact 
than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U". 

After reading this, the first thought that popped into my head was "Another gimmicky console?" So it's supposed to be "a new way of playing games" which leads me to think it wont be just a controller with buttons and an analog stick or two like what their direct competitors have been getting so much success with. I hope you know what you're doing, Nintendo.

          There have also been a large amount of rumors surrounding this mystery console. Most of which are shots in the dark made by fans, while some come from industry professionals. There are some prevailing rumors that worry me a bit. Firstly, the Nintendo NX might not be using the X86 architecture which has become the industry standard. If this is true, it would make it harder for games to be ported onto this platform besides pushing away third party developers. Secondly, the NX might not be as powerful as it's direct competitors (Playstation 4/Xbox One). This trend of constantly releasing consoles that are a generation behind the industry is quite worrying, honestly.

          Nintendo haven't revealed much regarding the console at this time but they have announced that the console will be released in March of 2017. I don't know what Nintendo are up to but I really hope they manage to make a console that I would want to purchase.

- Dnial Aziz
Instagram : @beyond_just_games

No comments:

Post a Comment