Friday 6 May 2016

The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Review

Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game. I was also playing another RPG at the time it was released so I started playing Skyrim a bit later than everybody else. Before I picked up my copy of the game, all I heard about it was "It's such an awesome game!" and "I took an arrow to the knee". It was an odd period. So, let me tell you about my knee.. I mean, my experience with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Graphics (8/10)
Skyrim is by no means an ugly game. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time just looking at the scenery while exploring the vast open world. That being said, I also noticed some sub-par textures and a certain lack of detail. It wasn't the best looking game of the time, but it was beautiful enough to keep me exploring for hours at a time.

Design (9/10)
Skyrim's world is magnificently designed. Travelling from one end of the map to the other feels like a proper journey. You'll find a creek, a lake, peaks and valleys, sun and snow, an underground cavern, a temple at the top of a mountain, a secret room inside a secret room. It is amazing.

Character design is also a strong point. You rarely find two NPCs that look exactly the same. Most NPCs are very well designed, each suited to their role in the world.

Now, the one gripe i do have with the design is with the weapons and armor. There is a massive amount of weapons and armor in this game but too many of them look similar if not exactly the same. Most players end up wearing the Deadric armor set. I felt a bit disappointed that my character didn't look unique to me after a 100+ hour journey.

Gameplay (9/10)
Every weapon type feels different. Some are fast, some slow, some cause more damage per strike than others.... Typical RPG system really. The controls are simple enough, allowing you to have full control of your character during heated battles. I only wish there was a more interesting way to fight dragons.

Soundtrack (10/10)
This game's soundtrack is perfect. I can't imagine anything better. I love it.

Story (9/10)
The story progresses according to the choices you make. There are multiple different ways you could influence the world as the Dragonborn. You could choose to ally yourself with one party and defeat their enemies or ally with everybody and end up killing everybody. That's what I did during my playthrough. I joined the Imperials and the Battle-born and the Theives and you get the idea..
Fun, this.

Overall experience (9/10)

Skyrim is undoubtedly one of the best games of it's time. I properly enjoyed my time playing it. I might play it again. Why not? It has flaws but they are few and far between. If you haven't played Skyrim yet, try it. You might just find yourself 100 hours in with an arrow stuck to your knee.

- Danial Aziz
Instagram : @beyond_just_games



No comments:

Post a Comment